Outreach & Engagement Assistant
The Iowa Water Center draws on an extensive network of multidisciplinary and multi-institutional scientists for organizing and accomplishing collaborative research to address critical water resource issues facing Iowa. Please refer to the Water Scholars Directory.
The Iowa Water Center’s Advisory Board
Our Advisory Board works closely with the Iowa Water Center (IWC) team to define the vision and goals for the IWC and to guide its programs. In addition to individuals with science and policy expertise, board membership includes representatives from organizations across Iowa who have water interests and responsibilities. These organizations include, but are not limited to, Iowa’s Regents universities, the Iowa Department of Natural Resources, the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship, and selected federal agencies.
Board Member Duties
- Develop, review, and update a strategic plan that sets both short and long term goals that reflect the primary functions of the IWC—multidisciplinary research, outreach, and education—and to establish priorities for those goals
- Advise the IWC on strategies to best achieve its goals
- Evaluate IWC progress made in meeting goals
- Inform the IWC about significant emerging water resource issues related to their respective fields of interest
- Provide information about IWC research and activities to their respective agencies and the public
Iowa Department of Natural Resources
Say Kee Ong is a Professor in the College of Engineering at Iowa State University. Say Kee Ong’s research interests are in the fate and transport of pollutants in engineered and natural systems, sustainable water and wastewater treatment and reuse systems, and hazardous waste management.
Research projects include:
- Sustainable wastewater and water reuse systems with emphasis on recovery of nutrients and useful products
- Sorption and degradation of micro-pollutants and removal of heavy metals from soils, surface waters and in wastewater treatment systems
- Progressive freeze concentration (PFC) process for water recovery and salt concentration
- Membrane bioreactors (MBR) and biological aerated filters (BAF) for wastewater treatment and micro-pollutants removal
- Bioremediation of petroleum-contaminated and former manufactured gas plant sites and application of natural attenuation